This fall, Joan Kelley will be at Saint Anselm School to speak to parents, grandparents and educators about how to set children up to be successful readers. Her talk is titled: Growing strong readers: What the science tells us about how children become strong readers, and what parents [of all babies and young children] can do to help.
Joan has spent over 10 years doing reading research, writing curricula, and helping educators deliver classroom instruction that builds the kind of skills children need to read well. Recently, she has dedicated herself to including parents in the quest to improve children’s reading outcomes. As Joan explained, “There are certain skills children need to become strong readers, and these skills start developing from birth. It is clear to me, as a researcher and educator, that if parents were aware of their children’s progress towards strong reading, they could more easily help them reach their full potential, and more productively work with their children’s educators. What I have found, however, is that most parents have never been given the critical information about what successful reading demands, and they don’t know whether their babies, toddlers, preschoolers, or school-age children are sufficiently building of the three main skills needed to read well.”
Joan went to Harvard College (’84) and the Harvard Graduate School of Education (’05). She lives with her husband, John, in Needham, MA, and has three grown children.
*This event is open to the public, please make sure to R.S.V.P. to secure your seat.
Believe it or not it’s not too late to get one of the last spots for some of our most popular gatherings – get ready for crab season or join a hike to Mt. Tam. Whatever your fancy there is sure an opportunity awaiting you!! Check out the last few spots left for the following sign up parties – and you better sign up soon as each spot will expire shortly!
Thanks again for your support for our school community!
20% off your purchase at Kismet Boutique from 5:00-8:00p.m. for a shopping spree. Join St Anselm moms and to sip of wine, nibble on some treats and get spring fashion ready!
$25 for 20% off
5-8 pm – Spring, 2018
There will be pizza, popcorn snacks & water. We’ll select a kid friendly PG movie, but if that doesn’t excite your child, there will also be crafts and games.
$25 per child
Event Date: March 2018
It’s the 2nd Annual Progressive Party – and we’re heading to Gilligan’s Island! Tropical cocktails, tiki bars, pupu platters and dancing await you for an amazing night!
$150 per person
Event Date: June 2, 2018
Sign Up Expires Apr. 13PURCHASE SIGN UP PARTY
Join some of St. Anselm’s most enthusiastic fisherman for a day on the Bay! All is provided for you except the fish – that is up to you!
$200 per person
Sign Up Expires Jun. 2PURCHASE SIGN UP PARTY
Calling all dads to join us on Oct. 19th for an evening of “Burgers and Bourbon” at Centennial Hall. Bring a Magnum of wine or your favorite high end alcohol to donate to the silent auction at the St. Anselm Heavenly Bash on Nov. 4, 2017 at The Peacock Gap Clubhouse. We’ll have dinner catered by Farm Burger and beverages to share while we watch the Raiders take on the Chiefs at Centennial Hall.
Update – 10/19/2017 – All ticket sales have been moved to the night of the event, at the door, cash and/or credit.
St. Anselm’s Annual Heavenly Bash – The Kentucky Derby
Saturday, November 4, 2017
Dust off your fancy hats and iron your seersucker suits, it’s time for our biggest school fund-raiser – the 2017 BASH!
Mark your calendars now for November 4th, 5:30PM-11:00PM at the beautiful Peacock Gap Clubhouse!
Donation/Sponsorship forms are available in front of the school office! Don’t be shy, businesses are happy to donate items and services to the BASH… all you have to do is ask!
Looking forward to a successful, lucrative and memorable experience… Invitation to Follow…
The Annual St. Anselm School iRun Technology Fundraiser will be held Friday, March 31st ,2017.
- As we kick off the iRun, our focus this year is to “Aim High and Run Strong.” Each week at Friday Salutes, we will send an inspirational message to the kids about training, working hard, and reaching their goals!
- WHAT CAN PARENTS DO:
- Print out the training guide and chart provided here
- Discuss the guide with your child and have them set a goal for the # of laps they would like to run
- Get out and train – on a local hiking or biking trail, in the neighborhood, around the school!
- SIGN UP TO VOLUNTEER – Lap Counters and Snack Station Volunteers will be needed the day of the event! It is so much fun to see how excited the kids get and how hard they run! Sign up here!
- Go out and fund-raise – iRun is not meant to be another parent obligation to donate to the school – send an email to faraway friends and family, talk to neighbors, store and restaurant merchants! Wear last year’s iRun shirt and tell everyone about the event!
- WHAT ARE WE RAISING MONEY FOR:
- Creating a “Makerspace” portable laboratory for our kids to create and engineer “Do it Yourself” projects that support the STEM curriculum. This type of learning enhances resourcefulness, perseverance, and efficient problem-solving skills combined with the ability to adapt and learn in novel situations.
- Supporting Parent Education Funding to bring Tech Speakers to our school
- New cart of iPads with more circulation into the classrooms
- GO TO FARMBURGER ON MARCH 15TH FOR THE IRUN DINE AND DONATE! – we dine, they donate back to the school! They will also be providing a burger bash for the class who brings in the most donations for the iRun!!
- Make A Donation Online – Click Here!
2nd Annual Boosters Bocce Tournament
Friday, May 11th, 2018
Marin Bocce Federation
550 B Street
San Rafael, CA 94901
Event Ticket – $100 per person – includes all you can eat taco truck lunch and drinks.
Sponsors will be recognized – $250 each.
Top 3 teams win prizes!